Open 1 Day ~ L2 Positive Handling
Friday 5th July 2019
Navigation House, Whistler Drive, Castleford, WF10 5HX
delegate or £125 for 2 delegates from the same school
This comprehensive training course is suitable for anyone coming into contact with service users/children who may present challenging/aggressive behaviour and who,
as part of their role, may be required to use positive handling.
E.g. Headteachers, Teachers, Teaching Assistant, Healthcare professionals, Learning Mentor, Behaviour Mentor, Lunchtime Supervisor.
Delegates will learn how they can reduce risks by diffusing aggression and how to control potentially violent situations through the use of legally compliant holds,
whilst maintaining the dignity and safety of themselves and the person involved.
By the end of the course, delegates will:
- Further build on their confidence when dealing with behaviours that challenge, fear, trauma, aggression and violence;
- Reflect on their understanding of ultradian rhythms ~ the emotional regulation of staff and management of pupils' emotions & behaviour;
- Gain a clearer understanding of the impact of communication;
- Gain a better understanding of what science is telling us about the biology underneath presenting behaviours ~ How the brain and body react when children are
socially defensive, the implications for de-escalation and reducing the need for restraint;
- Understand the aggression curve and the promotion of safety cues in the school environment;
- Gain a basic understanding of current legislation relating to issues that can arise when dealing with aggression or violence;
- Examine the requirements of Health & Safety statute and associated regulations and understand how they apply to physical restraint in school;
- Understand the recommendations in the DfE Guidance, 'Use of Reasonable Force in schools,' including the recommendations of techniques NOT to be used;
- Recognise the risks associated with physical restraint and how to minimise those risks;
- Risk assess their own safety when dealing with a potentially aggressive or violent pupil;
- Differentiate between holding, escorting and restraining;
- Know, practise and evaluate legally compliant and medically assessed holds and techniques including how to relax a restraint and disengage safely;
- Know and understand the requirements for recording any use of restrictive force and how the information can be used to inform Behaviour Plans/Risk
- Understand the need to 'Repair and Rebuild' relationships following the use of any restrictive force.
This is a one- day course and on completion, delegates receive a Level 2 Certificate in Positive Handling
In order to book a place on this course, please complete the form below or call 01924 891080. Joining details will be given following
Contact us today, with no obligation, to discuss your school's staff training needs:
Tel: 01924 891080
07581562669 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org